RSS FEED

It's still November.

Advent starts on the 30th of November this year.

Upon that date, I will stop whinging.

'til then I will suffer the stabbing pains into my heart every time I see those overly decorated locations every morning in Parramatta.

And now, for my favourite thing to write about:
The views of my dictionary.

This week we have whinging vs whining.
Whining is what my dictionary states to be the correct.

So, do I whine about how delicious my bag smells? Would I like some whine with my cheese?

Or do I whinge about how Chris is stealing my friends and then making fun of me about said friends?
Hmmm... Shout out. Hi Chris!
According to my dictionary, I should be whining, not whinging.
Let's see what Urban Dictionary says. It tends to agree with me.

This was my favourite response for whinge:
A British/Australian/New Zealand (possibly South African and other commonwealth) English word which describes incessant complaining. A behaviour commonly associated with poms/pommes/pohms/pommies (people from England).

And whine:
1. Usless complaining to others that dont care.
2. Making oneself feel important through the use of usless complaining
3. Using complaining as propaganda to make someone or something look bad
4. plain oll' bein a fag

So, they do mean the same thing, which I knew.
But the question remains: Is whinge a real word?

Urban Dictionary is the worst source ever, but I think it is hilarious and well, it agrees with me so what's not to love?

And my Google search agrees with me.

I think the internet is destroying the English language.
Ok, I think I am destroying the English Language, but the internet is helping me do it!

Stay tuned for my next post:
My thoughts on a Clockwork Orange. The book, not the movie.
I'm not sure I could watch the movie, amazingly I can read all about graphic violence, I don't think I could watch it.
So a Clockwork Orange.
Another book about society and trying to change it.
Clearly, it's my genre of choice.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Return top