RSS FEED

Another one of "those things"

For anyone that has regularly crossed by path know that every now and then I get a revelation, a revelation that will rock my world view to the very core! Of course, the revelations are generally of the most obvious things that once I have realised, I start wording just how stupid I was to think otherwise.

Currently, I can't think of one of my own examples of these so I will just give you one of Caitlin. Oh, Caitlin, poor, poor Caitlin. One of the most intelligent people I know, this intelligence keeps in balance the scale and thus has no common sense. One day I was on the phone to her and she declares to me her musings on the subject of the phrase "digging to China".
She had spent a while pondering the saying because to actually dig to China, from Australia, it would require to go down and then across and not through the centre of the Earth like the saying suggests, then out of no where she made the realisation the "duh moment" that the saying originated in Europe which makes it much more likely to happen.
Thus the achievement of one of "Those moments".

I will even ignore the fact that China and Europe aren't actually antipodes. For those who are curious, if one was to drill a hole through the centre of the Earth starting in Sydney, you'd end up somewhere near Portugal. Ok, you'd end up dead because of the lava but this is the world of hypotheticals! (Interesting note: My dictionary doesn't accept Hypotheticals as a word. A word with no plural, I blame society for making it an acceptable word)

And eventually, I will get to the reason why I am writing about this!
So, I was just talking to Soph (of Elyse and Soph presents fame) about Dawson's Creek. I am continuing my epic journey and have now gotten to Charlie trying to seduce Joey. I hated Charlie BEFORE he cheated on Jen and well, now he cheated on Jen and is going after Joey! AND JOEY HAS NO PROBLEM WITH THIS! In the same episode Audrey says "Bros before hos" and Joey needs to listen man, she needs to listen.
I hate Charlie! Even more than I hate Charlie I hate Chad Michael Murray, I hated him in Gilmore Girls, I hate him in Dawson's Creek, I hated him in the most recent remake of Freaky Friday and I could never bring myself to watch One Tree Hill even though I love angsty teen dramas ( a little late for my tastes, but each to their own) so yeah, Chad Michael Murray, I hate him! I HATE HIM! I particularly hate his hair and attempt at facial hair, but that is a different issue.

As I continued talking to Soph, I established the mean reason I didn't like him. I find him to be a swarmy bastard. In previous conversations it has been stated that Soph kind of enjoys the swarm. Which brings me to the main point of this entire blog! The entire reason of this blog.
Swarm. Apparently not a word. In fact, Soph didn't know what I was talking about! That kind of hurt, so I moved on. I dried my tears and put down my guitar after composing a heart wrenching ballad about how I don't understand the English language and then composed a less heart wrenching blog about how I don't understand the English language.
It came down to this, Swarm vs Smarm.
I looked it up on Urban Dictionary, which when Davey isn't online it is what I use to keep up to date with the hip new slang and these are the hits I got back:
1.
a sleazy, sneaky, sweaty, unscrupulous person.
(Just as I presumed)

2.
Person who is ignorant of the English language misspelling of word SMARMY, which means highly self-satisfied.

Apparently, I meant smarmy, which is also the word that Soph suggested I actually meant. My dictionary didn't pull it up as a mistake (then again update, my dictionary is currently on the fritz because suggestion is a word that I can never spell right. Envelope is my other word that I always spell wrong. Ha. I say that like I'm a good speller. I'm not but I have lots of trouble with those two words).

So yeah, swarmy vs smarmy.
What's the deal?
I have been using swarmy for a while now and really, the smarmy looks like a made up word.
That just could be the influence of the Simpsons (Lousy Smarch weather).

It's one for the ages.

2 comments:

Anonymous

Hahahaah I was hoping you'd get the revelation of the word actually being SMARM. At first I thought it was a typo, but the m is so far away from the w! I however have never noticed you saying 'swarmy'. If I had I would have instantly corrected you!
Also, I LOVE CMM on Gilmore Girls. But yeah I agree, he's crap in everything else.
Davey
xX

Elyse

I don't really say swarmy all that much, so it doesn't shock me that you wouldn't have heard me say it.

Then again, I say so many things wrong how can you keep track?

CMM I can only stand on Gilmore Girls because he is meant to be a smarmy prick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Return top