RSS FEED

All my life lessons from Tetris

I was looking to go to a website that I have in my bookmarks, which is really not organised. It brought me shame.
On the way to violating international copyright law, which as a side note, I ended up buying on iTunes (Support the music industry!). Ok, it was actually because I couldn't find it anywhere else.  Support independent music!

My distractions know no bounds. I'm amazing.

In my list of bookmarks I have just a whole bunch of random articles bookmarked, I have some ones that I am awfully fond of such as these two. You are welcome.

This is the most disjointed beginning to a topic I have ever written.

However, it does have a point, I randomly clicked the wrong link and got this comic:

Pic from: Minor Chaos

Now, to get things clear, I love Tetris. I am excellent at Tetris and dammit, it is high time that I add Tetris to my dictionary because I am sick of my spell check saying it is not a real word, but it's not just a real word it is a real way of life. 

I know it is simple minded to learn ALL my life lessons from Tetris, since I watch TV and read books and I did learn that is "best not to dwell in dreams and forget how to live", nor that "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure" or that not all who wander a lost, but I never read that book or saw the movie, I just found it on a quote website and it stuck with me. 
Then again, these same things offer terrible life lessons, refer to anything to do with Spike on Buffy. 

However, from the comic we learn the lesson of compromise and it's true, you just wait and wait for that long piece to make all your Tetris dreams come true but the real lesson to learn from Tetris is that is it is life. Not in the Tetris is my life kind of way but that Tetris is a metaphor for life. 

I'm sure you are now looking at your screen with a look of disbelief at my crazy talk right now or you are thinking about all those things that are metaphors for life, but they aren't really. You know why? 

Because you can't win at Tetris. You don't win. 
That's right, Tetris BEAT you. 
I am, of course talking about real Tetris, you can get versions of Tetris "marathon" that caps out at 15 levels, but that's not real Tetris. 
Real Tetris just keeps sending pieces until you cap out at the top. 

Think about life. Life keeps going out until you die. You can't beat life. You don't win at the end. 

But a game of Tetris is like life, but not like the Game of Life, so at the beginning you start with nothing. Just a blank stage on which you create the building blocks and get a good foundation going, as you reach milestones you get to a higher level and the speed slowly increases and you don't really notice. Ok, I don't really notice but I'm freakishly good at Tetris, so there's that. 

Then the thing with Tetris is that it doesn't always go to plan, you have no control of what comes next. You might get the straight piece when you don't need and you could be waiting for the straight piece so long you the cap out. 
Your playing strategy might not be the going for Tetrises, which is 4 lines for those not in the know. 

Either way, you have your way, you have to work with what you get, the only second chances you get are the ones you make yourself. There is luck in what pieces you get, but it's how you use them that counts. 


 You start, you game over. You are born, you die.
Things happen in the middle, you have high points, you have low points. It is nigh impossible to not make mistakes in a game of Tetris, some you can get out of, some you can't.

Such is life. 
Such is Tetris.






0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Return top