RSS FEED

Life Lessons for Reality Contestants

Let me first open with a confession, I don't watch much reality television.

I've seen bits and pieces over the years, mainly from when they go over their fricken time slot and I'm waiting for something else to start, other than the MTV series Made which was just amazing.


The one rule is that reality television is built on the power of their contestants tears, one of the issues with last year's Masterchef Australia is that there was more crying than cooking. Leading to two of the most amazing Facebook groups ever: Mastercher- More Cooking, less sooking, and Masterchef: Less Crying, More Frying.


The theme being those tears you see from the contestant, they aren't coming from the onions they are what failure looks like! You keep crying amateur chefs! YOU KEEP CRYING!!


One would think the minute you sign up for a reality show, you realise they will find your soft underbelly and expose it for all it's worth to make you cry and keep on crying on national TV, and if it is really good YouTube sensation.


For example, I am going to make a reality show and I work in TV so I can totally do that.
It's going to look a bit like this:



The series finale, will feature this shot as the winner:



It really hurts me that I get a clip of Dawson, before I get a clip of Pacey, but that clip is a result of Joey dumping Dawson for Pacey, and that is why it is prime position on my "Making Grown Men Cry" Reality Show.


Getting to my point, I was at work the other day and reading the news, as I only do at work, I'm only informed about the world on Mondays and Fridays, I hope the world doesn't end on any other day. I'll be completely unprepared.
So, I was reading the SMH website and I found this article.

For those against clicking links, more power to you. Mel B, of the Spice Girls Fame.
Let's get a picture happening:

Scary Spice living up to the name
It is a bit disturbing that in looking for that photo a lot of pics Mel C came up. Clearly two different people. Pfft...
Let's also get a Flashback happening so we can be fully aware of just who Mel B is and how awesome she is.


As a side note, Dear potential suitors, if you want to be my lover,  please don't get with my friends.

So, that is Mel B, part of one of the most successful girl groups ever and a very important part of my childhood, and let's be honest, if you have Meatloaf driving your bus, you don't have it half bad.

Mel B is currently a judge of Australia's X Factor. A great judge too, she goes straight for the tears, which in the end what makes a great a judge and a great mentor since that's the stuff you need to hear.

So, in the process of judging some dude that was crap in his performance and Mel B rightfully called bullshit.

The dude's response, his name is Luke O'Dell, if anyone cares... No-one? Moving on.
"Mel B just performed on X Factor lol so bad and this lady judged me? She needs a reality check,
  
Number one, she is Mel B, she is a Spice Girl. She has sold more records, DVDs, posters and other general Popstar merch than you will ever see in your life. 
Ultimately, the minute you sign up for a talent show, you are opening yourself to be judged. Not just by very qualified people, such as Mel B, who if anything knows the business and knows what one has to do to make it. 
But you are being judged by absolutely everyone. That's part of the deal. You sell your soul and pay with tears. Basically, the audience doesn't want people to succeed. We want failure. Lots and lots of failure.

Though, at the end of the day, the most offensive part of that statement, ignoring the obvious disrepect, is that you don't need talent to be able to judge and to judge well. 
Just because you can't perform well, which is arguable in a don't you don't be disrespecting no Spice Girl, to be able to judge well. 
Let's look at Simon Cowell. 

Ladies...
We may stop looking now. 
This is the dude that created X Factor and American Idol. 
He judges and is the bitchy judge. He bathes in tears of broken dreams. 
I don't see anyone saying that he can't judge because he can't perform. No, because he will take that person and shatter all their hopes and dreams until the have nothing left. 


Which I'm hoping is Mel B's next plan. 

But the end of the day, if you are going to participate in reality TV. You have sold your soul, you'll cry and you will be judged. Often and for many different reasons.  You will also be called different names.

Apparently Adam

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Return top