RSS FEED

Elyse v Live Albums

In my time as, well, I'm not entirely sure what, but in my time I've collected a lot of music. It has been acquired.

One of the things that I have a acquired quite a lot of is live albums. Now, I have some love for live albums, especially when I have the studio recorded songs as well. Noting those differences, like how in the live version of "Where Have you Been" by the Reel Big Fish they incorporate the horn section and have a prolonged bass solo in the middle and some talking in there. I'm not that fond of the end, but it's kind of funny.
The studio recording is all guitar and there for the brass section has nothing to do and that would look weird on stage, so they get something to do!

With live albums what happens is at the beginning someone presses record and at the end someone presses stop. No one ever just sits there and plays music the entire concert, no! There is interaction between the members of the band and the members of the audience and all that and there are introductions and explanations.

It's all part of the awesomeness that is live music.

Then it comes to the album, and it's all there.

One thing I don't get is why is the banter at the end of songs? Why is the introduction to the next song at the end of the last song?

It makes sense if you are listening to the album in order, but who does that?
I'm a big fan of shuffle!

Live albums on Shuffle are not as awesome. It goes song, intro to next song at the end of the song to a song by a completely different artist or however well it's shuffled.
Though, sometimes it does amuse me when the next shuffled song doesn't add up to the previous one at all.

I only know of one song on a live album that manages to not to do that and that is "Superstar" by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes on the album "Ruin Johnny's Bar Mitzvah" and it's just a line about saying how "it's the most awkward moment of my career" before starting the song.
Oh, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes Ruin Johnny's Bar Mitzvah is an excellent live album due partly to the comedy gold and it does actually include Johnny reading a blessing and Hava Naglia, in both the traditional form and to the melody of "We Wanna Wish you a merry Christmas". Yes, the band did play at an ACTUAL Bar Mitzvah, recorded it and now sell it as a live album.

Live albums are awesome, the tracks are just cut up strangely.
Ok, it's not that strange since it means the next track is where the song starts, but that's annoying.

I guess that's not annoying because you just skip the talking and get the song goodness.

I'm not winning here.
This is what is like to taste defeat in my own writings.

Maybe I shouldn't put "vs" in my blog titles.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Return top